Who says anime can’t be educational?! For some people it maybe so some random cartoons to pass time with, but anime to others is something special and worth watching. I’ve been watching anime since I was a little kid and throughout the years, I’ve picked up quite a few things about life and other general knowledge. Check out 5 things you can learn by watching anime!
1. The first thing you learn by watching anime is about yourself. Seriously, by watching anime, I’ve learned that it was actually possible for me to fall in love with animated characters that are practically perfect in every way and are drawn to look perfect visually at every angle, and yet they actually don’t exist. If you say you’ve never thought an anime character was hot in your whole entire life, I don’t believe you. The guys in Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, or the guy in Inu x Boku Secret Service (as pictured above) can be pretty amazing! If you look at which genres you like to watch and which anime series you get hooked on, those genres kind of reflect the person you are too. As you can see, I’ve learned that I’m a hopeless romantic. Your favorite characters or the characters you can relate to most also say something about you!
2. Culture and language - Watching anime has made me want to visit Japan so much! I would love to go see their night festivals and school festivals, along with wearing a kimono. They just look so pretty! I also love how Japanese school uniforms seem so nice and you can tell how education is very important for the Japanese with how their school systems are set up. I thought it was pretty fascinating how Japanese take off their shoes before school. I’ve also learned a lot of Japanese vocabulary terms by watching anime with English subs. I’ve learned how to say things like hello, thank you, I see, that’s awesome, idiot, etc. That could help me survive in Japan for at least five minutes, right?! (Well, not the idiot part.)
3. Clubs - There are a lot of clubs at my school too, but in anime, it seems like EVERYONE joins a club! Clubs/ after-school activities are very important to students in Japan. I have recently been watching K-On! and Kokoro Connect, and they both have shown me how many different clubs there are and how they recruit members. (The members of the K-On club were so desperate for members they even dressed up in animal costumes to pass out flyers.) Also, when there are school festivals, all the clubs set up booths and activities, making it a pretty amazing festival if you ask me, compared to what clubs at my school do.
4. Sports - If you’re not an outside sporty person, then watching sporty anime series could help you learn more about sports! You can learn about sport terms, how games work, and even some common techniques and moves. Sport series like Kuroko’s Basketball and Prince of Tennis are quite interesting and even if you don’t learn how to play, it can at least inspire you to go outside and try it!
5. Life - My favorite type of anime is slice of life. It just shows you what can happen in life and how random and unexpected things can be. You can learn from the characters’ problems, situations, and everyday experiences. It can also inspire you to look at life differently and to just have fun! My favorite slice of life series have got to be Azumanga Daioh, K-On!, Ichigo Mashimaro, and My Ordinary Life. Have you seen any of them before?
What have you learned from anime?